Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Oxford United 1-1 Barnet FC

The Bees continued their pre-season preparations with a draw against League One side Oxford United, in a behind closed doors training ground friendly.


The hosts started on the front foot as an Oxford striker was played in behind before having his effort from close-range saved, however he was flagged offside.


The Bees had a penalty appeal waved away as Beard threaded the ball through to Trialist D who cut back inside and was brought down.


Oxford continued their pressure through the first half and had a bouncing header saved at the far post from Trialist GK 1, following an inswinging corner.


Harry Kewell’s side had their first effort at goal in the 20th minute as Ben Nugent brought the ball forwards from defence. The experienced defender fed through Trialist C who saw his effort from the edge of the box sail over the crossbar.


Trialist GK 1 was made to work again when the Bees were dispossessed from inside their own half. The ball was threaded through to an Oxford striker who fired his low effort into the ‘keeper’s hands.


The Bees came close to taking the lead as the first-half approached the final stages. Vasiliou picked up the loose ball before playing across to Trialist C who had his shot from close-range blocked. Trialist D reacted first to the loose ball and took aim but saw his effort deflected over the bar for a corner.


The Bees started the second 45 minutes brightly when Trialist C was given the ball on the edge of the box. He managed to get the better of his defender before rifling his shot inches over. 


The U’s took the lead in the 50th minute when an Oxford winger picked up the ball down the right flank before fizzing a low cross to the edge of the six-yard box that was finished neatly into the bottom right corner by White. 


Kewell’s side looked to level the scoring when Trialist A drove through the host’s midfield before pulling his shot wide of the mark.


Shortly after, Karl Robinson’s team came close to extending their advantage when an Oxford midfielder got the better of Trialist A and whipped the ball across the face of the Bees’ goal, however no-one could get on the end of it. 


As the second-half hit the midway stage, Trailist GK 2 was forced into a good save when Oxford swung a corner into the centre of the box. A U’s defender met the ball but was denied by the goalie. 


Moments later, the Bees almost equalised when Granville played Vasiliou down the wing before crossing in. An Oxford defender attempted to deal with the ball, but came very close to turning it into his own net. 


The Bees were level in the 78th minute when Trialist C worked hard to pounce on a loose back pass and rounded the goalkeeper before converting smartly into an empty net from a tight angle. 


The hosts reacted quickly to the equaliser and almost retook the lead when an Oxford midfielder spread the play to an Oxford winger. He then drilled the ball across the box to an Oxford striker who had his turning shot deflected over the bar by Ben Richards-Everton. 


As the match entered the closing stages, the Bees began to work the ball well. Doherty dropped a shoulder and crossed a low ball into Beard who fizzed his effort straight into the palms of the U’s stopper, ensuring that the hosts were held to a 1-1 draw.


BARNET FC: Trialist GK 1 (Trialist GK 2 45’), Trialist A, Nugent (Greenage 45’), Widdowson (Doherty 45’), Trialist B (Richards-Everton 54’), Beard, Payne (Granville 45’), Flanagan, Vasiliou, Trialist C, Trialist D.