Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Sutton United 1-1 Barnet

The Bees had to settle for a point in their second game of the season as they were held by Sutton United at the Knights Community Stadium.

Simeon Akinola scored his second goal from the spot in as many games as Darren Currie’s side led at the break.

However, a Harry Beautyman second half strike meant the Bees find themselves on four points from the opening two National League fixtures.

A cagey opening 20 minutes saw both sides use a lot of endeavour without actually creating a clear opening on goal, both came into the game on the back of confidence boosting opening day wins.

With 32 minutes on the clock the Bees had a penalty shout, as David Tutonda went down in the area, however referee James Durkin waved away the appeal.

But five minutes later the visitors did have a spot kick, Dan Sparkes did excellently to find Akinola who was denied by Butler. However, the rebound fell to Tutonda who was clearly fouled and a penalty was awarded.

Akinola stepped up and calmly slotted his penalty away just as he did against Yeovil last Saturday as he netted on his birthday.

That was enough to see the Bees go in at the break ahead in an otherwise uneventful first half in the South London sunshine.

Just four minutes after the break it should have been two as Sparkes struck the upright after he was beautifully played in by Che Alexander. The winger had plenty of time but couldn’t convert his effort.

At the other end Jack Taylor had to clear off the line following a goal bound header from a Sutton corner.

Akinola had a great chance to get his second of the evening, as J Taylor found him brilliantly but the striker smashed his shot high and wide.

The Bees were punished on 58 minutes as Beautyman lofted over Scott Loach to bring the hosts level.

The equaliser seemed to breathe new life into United as they started to put the pressure on the Bees backline. The hosts looked very dangerous from set pieces, as Jamie Collins powered consecutive headers just over the bar.

J Taylor saw a long range effort skim narrowly wide of the left hand post as the game started to open up as the sides entered the last 15 minutes.

Bees keeper Loach did well to stop a powerful drive from Sutton scorer Beautyman as the hosts went in search for a decisive goal.

Despite late pressure from both sides, neither could snatch all three points in an even game in South London.

Attentions now turn to Saturday’s trip to Notts County (17:20 KO), as the Bees will look to build on their unbeaten start to the season.