Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Wycombe Wanderers 0-2 Barnet

Goals from Mauro Vilhete and John Akinde gave Barnet their first ever league win at Wycombe Wanderers who finished the game with ten men.
Vilhete finished cutely to put the Bees ahead after 65 minutes before Akinde, against his former club, rounded the excellent Jamal Blackman to tuck home a second at the death after substitute Myles Weston had been sent off for the Blues.
Martin Allen made six changes, handing Gavin Hoyte and Tom Champion their first starts in EFL League Two this season. 
For right-back Hoyte, it was his first appearance for the Bees since he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury against Stevenage in January.
That meant Curtis Weston playing at number ten, behind Akinde, while Vilhete moved forward to the right-hand side of midfield. 
Champion was put into midfield alongside Alie Sesay – also handed his first league start – after being recalled from his loan spell at Lincoln City this week. 
Josh Vickers, Bondz N’Gala and Luke Gambin came into the side with Jamie Stephens, Bira Dembele, Harry Taylor, Ryan Watson, Jamal Campbell-Ryce and Alex Nicholls dropping out. 
Chances were in limited supply in the first half for both sides. The Bees started the brighter of the two teams and used Sam Muggleton’s long throw to great effect. 
However, it was evident Wycombe had prepared for the missile as on-loan keeper Blackman came a long way off his line to claim, setting the tone for the afternoon. 
The Bees got fortunate in the 16th minute when powerful striker Adebayo Akinfenwa, who played for head coach Allen at Gillingham, looked to have given the Blues the lead.
A cross from the right was nodded home by the striker. However, referee Graham Horwood pulled play back to award the Chairboys a free-kick instead.
Wycombe had another couple of half-chances eight minutes later. First Joe Jacobson cracked a free-kick into a sea of Barnet players from a good position before Nick Freeman slammed the rebound wide of the near post.
The Bees’ best first-half chance came in the 34th minute when the ball was punched out to Sesay from a corner. The midfielder controlled the bouncing ball before firing in a half volley which Blues keeper Blackman held well.
The first half ended without another notable moment of goalmouth action. However, the second period should have started with Barnet going in front.
Curtis Weston cleverly steered the ball into the striker’s path as he advanced into the penalty area. But Akinde paused before shooting and fired over the crossbar from a good position. 
Allen’s men offered a far greater threat in the second half and the introduction of Akpa Akpro, in place of Gambin, eventually paved the way for the Bees to go in front after 65 minutes.
A delicate chip into the penalty area by the Frenchman released Vilhete and he showed great composure to beat Blackman at his near post and hand Barnet the lead.
Barnet defended resolutely from that point though Wycombe struggled to get into positions to cause the Bees’ backline problems.
With the clock ticking down Barnet nearly bagged a spectacular second on the break. 
Akpa Akpro spotted Wycombe keeper Blackman off his line and tried to lob the 6ft6in stopper from 50 yards. However, his shot bounced agonisingly wide.
A couple of minutes later Wycombe’s job was made harder as substitute Myles Weston was given a second yellow for hauling Vilhete down as he sprinted away.
Deep in injury time Barnet made the points safe, Akinde wrestling off his marker before rounding Blackman and tucking into the empty net to wrap up the perfect away day for the Bees.
Barnet are on the road again on Tuesday when they visit Newport County in a rearranged EFL League Two fixture.
Barnet: Vickers; Hoyte, N’Gala, Nelson (c), Muggleton; Vilhete, Sesay, Champion, Gambin (Akpa Akpro 56); Weston (H. Taylor 80); Akinde (Kyei 90).
Substitutes: Stephens (GK), Dembele, Watson, Kyei, Amaluzor.
Wycombe Wanderers: Blackman; Harriman, Stewart, Pierre, Jacobson (c); Thompson (Kashket 68), Rowe, Gape (Bloomfield 84), Cowan-Hall; Akinfenwa, Freeman (Weston 68).
Substitutes: Brown (GK), Wood, O’Nien, De Havilland. 
Referee: Graham Horwood.
Attendance: 3,596 (250 Barnet supporters).