Barnet Football Club



Report: Barnet 0-0 Newport County

Barnet were left frustrated after knocking and knocking at a Newport County door which would not open at The Hive, the game ending in a goalless draw.
It was Rossi Eames and Henry Newman’s side who showed far more attacking intent and only a fine display from Newport keeper Joe Day preserved a point for Graham Westley’s visitors.
Barnet made two changes from the side which were beaten by Doncaster Rovers last weekend with Simeon Akinola and Nana Kyei taking the places of Tom Champion and Jamal Campbell-Ryce – both of whom dropped to the bench.
Amongst the substitutes there was a place for new signing Luke Coulson who joined from Eastleigh for an undisclosed during the week.
In a first half desperately low on chances it was the Bees who came closest to opening the scoring with John Akinde, Simeon Akinola and Nana Kyei squandering presentable opportunities.
Jack Taylor had the first shooting opportunity of the match after nine minutes, confidently striding forward and sending a dipping effort just wide of the right-hand post.
Mauro Vilhete was proving a constant threat down the right-hand side for Barnet. In the 20th minute his sumptuous delivery from the right fell for Akinde at the back post but he directed a half-volley over Joe Day’s crossbar.
Five minutes later it was the same combination for the Bees; Vilhete scooping a cross into the middle where Akinde just failed to get his head on the ball in a good position.
The chance of the half belonged to the Bees and arrived four minutes before the break.
Akinde came out on top once more in his ongoing battle with Newport centre-back Darren Jones and cut back for Kyei who stabbed wide under pressure.
A bright start from Barnet after the break failed to yield the breakthrough the Bees needed.
In fact, it was almost Newport who went ahead after David Pipe crossed from the left for Alex Samuel to toe poke into Josh Vickers’ grasp.
That moment of danger appeared to awaken Barnet who had an even better chance a moment later. 
Akinola squeezed into enough space to shoot but Newport keeper Day blocked well. Akinde’s route to the loose ball was obstructed but Jack Taylor arrived in time to lash over first time.
The Bees were again denied by Day a minute later when the Newport stopper blocked well from Curtis Weston at his near post.
Day was called into action again a couple of minutes later to deny Vilhete’s low shot after a scramble in the Newport box.
Barnet were trying to force a way through but Newport stood firm. A fine ball out wide from Ricardo Santos released Vilhete but his low shot was dragged into the side netting. 
With 15 minutes remaining Eames and Newman introduced new signing Coulson in place of Harry Taylor, meaning Vilhete shifted to right-back.
Kyei was next to try to force a way through, picking up the ball and curling towards the top corner where Day somehow touched his effort behind for a corner.
Coulson showed promise on his debut and, on another day, might have finished with the match-winning assist had Akinde been able to nod home his delicate chip to the back post in injury time.
Next up for Barnet is a trip to Carlisle United on Saturday, January 28 (3pm kick-off).
Barnet: Vickers; H. Taylor (Coulson 75), Nelson (c), Santos, Johnson; Vilhete, Weston, J. Taylor, Kyei; Akinola; Akinde.
Subs: McKenzie-Lyle (GK), Campbell-Ryce, Champion, Nicholls, Mason-Clark, Tutonda.
Newport County: Day; Pipe (Demetriou 83), Nelson, Jones, O’Brien, Butler; Sheehan, Bennett (c), Randall (Samuel 28); Williams, Reid (Owen-Evans 64).
Subs: Bittner (GK), Flynn, Bojaj.
Referee: Darren England.
Attendance: 2,623 (159 Newport County fans).