Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet 1 – 1 Yeovil Town

With the wind blowing, it was Barnet that got off to a flyer. Akinola putting the Bees ahead after just six minutes after Charlie Clough cleverly broke into space. The 20-yard curler comfortably beat the Glovers keeper Artur Krysiak.

However, Yeovil were soon level when Otis Khan had a shot superbly saved by Craig Ross, diving and saving with only one hand.

A free-kick on the edge of the area gave Mauro Vilhete the chance to double the advantage, but his effort curled just past the right-hand post. He then nearly got a helping hand from the wind, his corner catching out Krysiak who did well to recover.

Dangerman Olufela Olomola had Yeovil’s best chance of the game so far, a cross finding him in acres of space, but his volley was well over from six yards.

Shaquile Coulthirst went down for treatment in the 33rd minute after he had the chance to break away denied by the Yeovil defence, but he was thankfully introduced to the game.

Barnet had another chance to double their lead, Jack Taylor’s ball in found the head of Michael Nelson. His header fell into the path of Vilhete who couldn’t convert.

Goalscorer Akinola suffered an injury in the 39th minute, which thankfully didn’t result in the player being substituted.

With four minutes of additional time being played, Barnet looked to try and see out the half with a good defensive display but didn’t face much Yeovil offence.

An early booking for Omar Sowunmi in the second half was followed by Yeovil’s first chance of the game. Nelson clearing off the line after a wonderful effort from Olomola after 52 minutes.

Bookings for Jack Taylor and Tom James followed, before a cross Khan hit the back post, nearly allowed Yeovil a way back into the game. Yeovil seemed to have the better chances of the opening 20 minutes but just couldn’t capitalise.

Akinola looked to try and get a second, but his shot from 20 yards was just wide of the left-hand post, Barnet’s first real chance of the half in the 71st minute.

A counter-attack from a Barnet corner saw Yeovil get the equaliser they’d been pressing for all half after 80 minutes. Sam Saunders (who’d just entered the field of play) played through Khan who tucked the ball away low into the bottom corner giving Craig Ross no chance.

David Tutonda picked up a booking before Yeovil had a penalty appeal turned down by referee Andy Woolmer before Barnet cleared the danger from the resulting corner.

Another booking, this time for Yeovil scorer Khan, allowed Barnet to regroup. But it was Yeovil who had the next chance, but Jake Gray’s cross couldn’t find a teammate.

With the official announcing six minutes of additional time, this gave both sides a chance to push for a winner. Yeovil thought they had a penalty, only for referee Woolmer to ignore it and way play on. Rhys Browne the player the referee judged to have dived.

The game came to a close and Barnet earned a point, however, it could’ve been a lot more.

Man of the Match (as chosen by matchday sponsor Stuart Morris): Jamal Campbell-Ryce

Attendance: 1751(237 away)

BARNET: Ross, Clough, Santos, Nelson, Campbell-Ryce (86’ Amaluzor), Coulthirst (45’ Akpa Akpro), J. Taylor, Tutonda, Akinola (84’ Mason-Clark), Fonguck, Vilhete.

Unused: McKenzie-Lyle, H. Taylor, Shomotun, Blackman.