Barnet Football Club



Report: Barnet 3-3 Enfield Town (5-6 on pens)

A two-goal comeback wasn’t enough for Barnet who exited the Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup after losing 6-5 on penalties to Enfield Town following a 3-3 draw in normal time.
A breathless 90 minutes ended level after Nana Kyei, Wesley Fonguck and Joe Payne – from his own half – scored to help the Bees overturn a two-goal deficit.
Dernell Wynter put the Towners ahead after 30 minutes before Harold Joseph added a second after the break. And, at the death, Enfield forced penalties through Ricky Gabriel.
Rossi Eames named a strong side which included nine players with first-team experience. Among them were Alex Nicholls, Alie Sesay and Justin Amaluzor.
Centre-back Darnell Smith, winger Daniel Cheema and left-back Payne were the only Under-18 players included in the starting XI.
The Towners, of the Isthmian Premier Division, included former Bees youngster Keir Dickson up front while Ravan Constable, once a sub last season, was named in goal.
However, it was actually midfielder Scott Shulton who donned the gloves for the first 35 minutes amid a goalkeeper crisis for Bradley Quinton’s men.
It took until the 21st minute for any real goalmouth action, Amaluzor skipping forward and dragging a low shot wide of the far post from 20 yards.
Former Bee Dickson had a gilt-edged chance to level a minute later, rounding Kai McKenzie-Lyle and cutting back for Wynter. But the forward miscued horribly and fired wide.
But after missing a relatively routine chance, Wynter got it right after half an hour, dipping a shot over McKenzie-Lyle from 25 yards to put the Towners in front.
Barnet had one more opportunity before the break but Kyei could only curl tamely into the palms of substitute keeper – and Town number one – Nathan McDonald.
Amaluzor almost equalised after the restart, beating two Enfield defenders but firing wide for the Bees.
Instead it was Enfield who scored next, doubling their advantage ten minutes after the restart when Joseph stabbed home from a corner.
But, ten minutes later, the young Bees got themselves back into the contest. 
Enfield keeper McDonald made a good stop but the ball ran loose for Kyei to tuck into the empty net.
Barnet’s tails were now up and the Bees were in control. Five minutes after pulling one back, Eames’ side were level as Fonguck strode through and slotted home first time.
Enfield very nearly went back in front almost immediately when substitute Bobby Devyne slinked down the left-hand byline. But McKenzie-Lyle stood up well at his near post to block.
An open game was now developing with both sides committed to winning the tie inside 90 minutes.
And that was evidenced when, with five minutes remaining, Payne spied the opportunity to shoot from his own half, lobbing Enfield keeper McDonald to give Barnet the lead for the first time.
The lead lasted a matter of seconds, though, Gabriel heading home Devyne’s free-kick to level the scores and force penalties.
Both sides were immaculate form the spot until Kyei saw the Bees’ sixth kick saved, enabling Dickson to win it for Town against his former side.

Enfield Town: Billy Crook scored, Dernell Wynter scored, Harold Joseph scored, Bobby Devyne scored, Nigel Neita scored, Keir Dickson scored.

Barnet: Alex Nicholls scored, Alie Sesay scored, Wesley Fonguck scored, Joe Payne scored, Tobi Coker scored, Nana Kyei saved.
Barnet: K. McKenzie-Lyle; Pascal, Smith, Sesay (c), Payne; Kyei, Fonguck, Shomotun (Brown 90); Cheema (Coker HT), Amaluzor (Connell 64) Nicholls.
Enfield Town: Shulton (McDonald 35); Kiangebeni, Joseph, Kirby, Gabriel; Collins (Neita 77), Crook, Mvleba, Campbell (Devyne 69); Dickson, Wynter.
Subs: Quinton.
Referee: Michael Smith.
Attendance: 207.