Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 0-0 Hartlepool United

The Bees made one change from the side who shared the points with Halifax Town on Tuesday night with Shaq Coulthirst returning from suspension to replace Dan Sparkes. As for the visitors, they brought in midfielder Liam Noble for Nicky Featherstone.

The first chance of the game fell to the Pools inside the first minute when Josh Hawkes struck from outside the box following a lovely piece of footwork, but his effort flew over the bar.

However, the Bees hit back soon after when Elliott Johnson’s corner was eventually cleared to the feet of Ephron Mason-Clark who struck from distance but couldn’t find the target.

The Bees should have taken the lead on 15 minutes when Dave Tarpey’s corner from the left found Dan Sweeney who headed wide of the post.

Fraser Kerr then picked up the first booking of the game for a strong tackle on Tarpey before Coulthirst blasted wide from the edge of the area with 20 minutes on the clock.

Kerr was in the thick of it again, firing from 35 yards out which forced Mark Cousins to make a strong save to prevent the ball arrowing into the top corner.

Just past the half-hour mark and Coulthirst had another chance to score, this time rising highest to head over Cheye Alexander’s cross.

Up the other end and the Pools had a real opportunity to break the deadlock when Hawkes pulled the trigger from distance, but his ambitious effort floated over too.

Alexander then did well to charge down the right flank before floating a delightful cross into Tarpey who volleyed over from close range.

It proved to be a positive first half for the Bees who enjoyed the better of the chances.

However, they found themselves on the back-foot in the early stages of the second period when Luke Molyneux tried to squeeze the ball into the near post only to be denied by Cousins.

Then moments later, the Hartlepool number 21 had another chance to rustle the net, this time blasting off target from the edge of the box.

Soon after, Mason-Clark did well to float a ball into the box before it was headed across goal to Coulthirst who couldn’t convert from close range.

Andre Boucaud then found some space before unleashing a driving effort just shy of the hour mark, forcing Loach to get down low and palm the ball away.

After a period of pressure from Barnet, the visitors went up the other end and found the net through Nicke Kabamba but it was chalked off for offside.

That proved to be the last chance of the game as both sides came away from The Hive London with a point under their belt.

The Bees are back in action on Tuesday night as we host Harrogate Town. 

BARNET: Cousins, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds, Tarpey, Coulthirst (Barham), H.Taylor, Boucaud, Fonguck, Sweeney, Mason-Clark (Akinola).

BARNET UNUSED SUBS: Matrevics, Robson, Elito.

HARTLEPOOL UNITED: Loach, Kioso, Noble (Featherstone), Donaldson, Hawkes (Holohan), Kerr, Anderson, Molyneux, Kabamba, James, Edgar.


ATTENDANCE: 1,269 (235 Hartlepool)