Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 0-0 Leyton Orient

The Bees named an unchanged line-up from the side that beat Aldershot 2-0 in mid-week. Orient won by the same score-line at home to Fylde in their last fixture too but made one change with Alex Lawless coming in for Jamie Turley.

The first real chance of the match fell Barnet’s way when Ephron Mason-Clark found space on the edge of the box before letting rip, forcing former Bee Dean Brill into a save.

Soon after, both sides had penalty shouts turned down. Firstly, Shaq Coulthirst appeared to be brought down before Macauley Bonne went to ground up the other end after an Elliott Johnson challenge.

With 13 minutes on the clock, Coulthirst burst down the middle before his shot was put out for a corner. The resulting set-piece fell to Dave Tarpey but his effort was well dealt with by Brill.

The Bees number seven then saw his low, driving effort at the far post saved before Wes Fonguck also had his one-on-one chance blocked by the Orient ‘keeper soon after.

The visitors came close to breaking the dead-lock just past the half-hour mark after a cross found the head of Joe Widdowson but the full-back could only steer the ball wide.

The Bees reacted well though when Mason-Clark went up the other end to set up Tarpey but his effort flew over.

Nothing split the two sides going into the break with Darren Currie’s men returning to the dressing room having looked the most likely to open the scoring in the first half.

However, the first chance of the second period fell Orient’s way when the ball fell to James Brophy just shy of the hour mark but he blasted his effort over the bar.

Following a lengthy spell on the side-lines, Ricardo Santos returned to action on 63 minutes much to the delight of the home supporters. He replaced Dan Sweeney who limped off after receiving treatment on the pitch.

Injury forced the Bees to make another change moments later when David Tutonda headed straight down the tunnel, making way for Medy Elito.

Santos almost made an immediate impact with 15 minutes remaining after charging towards Orient’s defence before unleashing a fantastic ball towards Coulthirst who couldn’t get a foot to it.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, Brophy tried his luck from distance again but his effort whistled beyond Mark Cousins’ crossbar.

Orient had another penalty claim waved away in stoppage time but they did have the ball in the net soon after through a Josh Coulson header but it was ruled out for offside.

The Bees travel to Eastleigh on Tuesday night as they aim to stretch their unbeaten run to seven games.


BARNET: Cousins, Alexander (Robson), Johnson, Reynolds, Tarpey, Coulthirst, H.Taylor, Boucaud (Elito), Fonguck, Sweeney (Santos), Mason-Clark.

BARNET UNUSED SUBS: Matrevics, Santos, Akinola, Elito

LEYTON ORIENT: Brill, Lawless (Dayton), Ekpiteta, Coulson, Happe, Widdowson, McAnuff (Lee), Clay, Brophy, Koroma (Simpson), Bonne.


ATTENDANCE: 3,648 (1,811 away)