Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 0-1 Stevenage

It was the visitors who started much the brighter, with Matt Godden getting on the end of Tom Pett’s low cross and poking a shot towards goal but Craig Ross saved comfortably.

Tom Whelpdale’s effort in the 13th minute was blazed over the bar after neat control to bring the cross under control.

It took until the 18th minute for Barnet to register their first effort on goal. Campbell-Ryce dinked a free kick towards the far post but Charlie Clough’s header was tame and easily saved.

Stevenage took a deserved lead in the 26th minute through a thunderous volley from Tom Pett which cannoned in off the post and left Craig Ross rooted to the spot.

Less than 10 minutes later, the game swung in Barnet’s favour. Dale Gorman saw a straight red for a strong tackle on Mauro Vilhete right under the nose of referee Richard Clark.

Clough’s header from the resulting free kick it the post, but the flag was up for offside.

Clough would strike the woodwork again moments later as his header at the far post rebounded back into play off of the bar. The post would be struck again shortly afterwards after a Barnet player in amongst a bundle of bodies got a shot away. Akpa Akpro couldn’t steer home the rebound.

Shaq Coulthirst was sent through one-on-one with the final play of the first half but fired inches wide of Joe Fryer’s post.

After the break, Coulthirst was again bearing down on goal but a challenge from Ronnie Henry was deemed as clean by the officials.

Jack Taylor forced Fryer into a save after a low effort for 20 yards out. In the 56th minute, Vilhete had the next attempt for the Bees, but curled a free kick over the bar.

Chances for Stevenage in this half were few and far between, but Ben Kennedy turned his man before delivering a dangerous cross but no visiting player was on the end of it.

Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro saw a shot from 25 yards out go wide of the left hand post after the Frenchman showed good strength and determination to get an effort away.

Barnet were throwing everything at the Stevenage goal now, but it all lacked an end product.

Tutonda saw a rasping shot deflect of Vilhete into the ‘keepers arms and Jean-Louis had an effort deflected behind before the referee brought the game to a close.

Barnet: Ross, Clough, Santos, Campbell-Ryce, Coulthirst (Amaluzor 65’), J Taylor, Tutonda, H Taylor (Bover 61’), Fonguck (Akinola 72’), Vilhete, Akpa Akpro.