Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 0-1 Sutton United

A James Dobson free-kick in the first half proved to be the only goal of the game as the visitors walked away with maximum points.

Barnet made two changes to the team who lost to Brentford on Tuesday with Andre Boucaud and Ashley Charles coming in for Elliott Johnson and Wes Fonguck. Sutton also made a double switch from their last game, Craig Eastmond and Jamie Collins replacing Tom Bolarinwa and former Bee Aswad Thomas.

It proved to be a very quiet start to proceedings from both sides with neither side posing a real threat in the early stages. However, the Bees’ first chance came on 15 minutes when Medy Elito floated in a cross from the left flank but neither Shaq Coulthirst or Ephron Mason-Clark could get a head to it.

Moments later and the visitors were forced to make their first change of the game after Kenny Davis was forced off with injury, making way for Roarie Deacon.

After Dan Sweeney brought down Gime Toure on the wing, the following free-kick fell to Brett Williams who looped his effort wide from the edge of the box. Calls for the Barnet defender to be booked for the challenge were waved away but Sweeney did pick up a yellow soon after following another tackle on Toure.

The Bees had a great chance to open the scoring just past the half-hour mark when Mason-Clark’s dangerous low ball was cleared to the feet of Jack Taylor whose shot deflected over.

The missed opportunities proved costly as Sutton put their noses in front moments later. After being awarded a free-kick from 25 yards out, Dobson stepped up before bending it into the top right corner.

Toure then picked up a booking for blocking a quick Barnet free-kick before Boucaud joined him in the referee’s book following a challenge on Harry Beautyman inside the centre-circle.

The Bees were awarded a free-kick from just outside the area in the latter stages of first half stoppage time after a foul on Coulthirst but Taylor bent the resulting set piece over.

HT: Barnet 0-1 Sutton United

That free-kick proved to be Taylor’s last involvement in the game as he was replaced at half-time by Simeon Akinola.

The first chance of the second half fell to Sutton when Dale Bennett crossed the ball in from the right before Deacon rose highest but headed wide.

The Bees then had an opportunity to equalise three minutes later when Cheye Alexander cut inside before pulling the trigger on the edge of the box but he could only find the side netting.

Barnet continued to pile the pressure and it nearly paid off had Coulthirst’s shot from close range not deflected behind.

The Bees were awarded a corner just shy of the hour mark which was flicked goalwards by Akinola before finding Boucaud who volleyed just wide of the post.

A distraught looking Akinola was then forced off through injury just over 15 minutes after coming on, making way for Byron Harrison.

Moments later, Barnet had yet another chance to equalise after Coulthirst beat Ross Worner, who raced out of his goal, before trying his luck from a tight angle, hitting the side netting.

The Bees made their third and final change on 68 minutes when Fonguck replaced Mason-Clark.

Sutton should have doubled their lead when Williams did well to turn the defence before shooting low and hard, forcing Mark Cousins into a smart save.

Nicky Bailey, who played for the Bees in two separate spells, was then replaced by Bolarinwa with just over 15 minutes to go.

Soon after, Coulthirst attacked the Sutton defence before he was brought down right on the edge of the area. Charles stepped up and lifted the ball over the wall but it could only fall beyond the crossbar.

With four minutes left on the clock, Fonguck nearly snatched a point, curling a delightful effort from just inside the box but it was tipped over by Worner.

Coulthirst had another opportunity to score in stoppage time but his shot was saved at the near post.

Despite multiple second half chances for Barnet to equalise, Sutton managed to hold on and come away with all three points.

The Bees are back in action on Tuesday night as we host Carshalton Athletic in an FA Trophy replay at The Hive London.