Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 0-2 Chesterfield

Charlie Carter and substitute Alex Kiwomya wrote their name on the score-sheet as the Spireites leap-frog us in the league.

The Bees made two changes from the side who played against AFC Fylde the FA Trophy at the weekend with Simeon Akinola and Ashley Charles coming in for Andre Boucaud and Ephron Mason-Clark. As for Chesterfield, they made three switches with Carter, Will Evans and Tom Denton coming in to the starting line-up.

The first real chance of the game fell the Bees’ way when Medy Elito played a one-two with Shaq Coulthirst before the ball found Wes Fonguck who blasted into the keeper’s gloves.

However, the miss proved costly as Chesterfield broke the dead-lock on 15 minutes when Denton hit the bar from close range leaving Carter to head home the rebound.

Barnet did have a chance to equalise soon after though when Akinola cut inside before unleashing an ambitious bending effort which landed wide of the post.

The Barnet number 14 was at it again six minutes later when he headed over Elliott Johnson’s dangerous cross from the left.

Chesterfield had a chance to double their lead just past the half-hour mark when Ellis Chapman’s cross from the left was headed just over the bar from Denton.

Four minutes before the break, Akinola cut inside before pulling the trigger on the edge of the box with his left but Jalal does well to catch his effort, keeping the score at 1-0 going into the break.

Darren Currie made one change at half-time, bringing Jack Barham on for Medy Elito.

The Spireits produced the first chance of the second period after Scott Boden did well to turn and run through on goal before pulling back and firing wide of Mark Cousins’ goal.

They came knocking again just shy of the hour mark when Chapman burst forward before dragging his shot just wide of the post.

Coulthirst then tried his luck after picking the ball up on the edge of the box before turning and blasting off target.

Charles then made way for Boucaud on 69 minutes shortly before Craig Robson was replaced by Mason-Clark.

The latter made an instant impact when floating a cross into the box before Sweeney rose highest to get a head to it but his effort was tipped over by Jalal.

Up the other end and Chesterfield were back on the attack when substitute Jerome Binnom-Williams tried his luck from 20 yards out, forcing a smart save from Cousins.

However, the Spireites did have the ball in the net again with 10 minutes to go after Kiwomya rounded the Bees’ keeper before slotting low and hard into the Barnet goal.

Akinola added to his catalogue of chances late on when his effort looked to be creeping into the bottom corner but instead fizzed past the near post.

However, the Spireites did manage to hold on to clinch their third win in four games.

Currie’s side host Barrow at the weekend as they hope to return to winning ways.

BARNET: Cousins, Johnson, Reynolds (C), Robson (Mason-Clark), Coulthirst, Akinola, H.Taylor, Fonguck, Elito (Barham), Sweeney, Charles (Boucaud).

UNUSED SUBS: Azaze, Alexander.

CHESTERFIELD: Jalal, Evans, Carter (Binnom-Williams), Weston, Weir, Hollis, Smith (C), Denton, Yarney, Boden (Kiwomya), Chapman.

UNUSED SUBS: Anyon, Maguire, Reid.

ATTENDANCE: 902 (172 Chesterfield)