Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 0-5 Brentford B – Middlesex Senior Cup

A commanding first-half display from the visitors matched with an impressive performance in the second resulted in a 5-0 defeat for Barnet.

The visitors took the lead after 12 minutes when Marcus Forss broke into the penalty area and was allowed to cut in onto his right foot and drill the ball into the bottom corner of Renell McKenzie-Lyle’s goal.

They doubled their advantage when Kolbeinn Finnsson was played in by a defence-splitting ball by Ali Coote and slotted the ball past McKenzie-Lyle in a 1 on 1 situation 11 minutes later.

Brentford B managed to get a third on the 30-minute mark when Marcus Forss scored his second of the evening with a header from close range.

Just before the break, a nasty aerial collision between Roy Syla and Jarvis Edobor forcing both players to come off with serious cuts.

The second half saw a better display by the Young Bees side but Brentford B reassured their dominance after a stunning long range shot from Jakko Oksanen beat McKenzie-Lyle after a brilliant challenge by Martin Box which denied Finnsson from getting his second.

First-half substitute Antonis Vasiliou came close with a free kick from 40 yards,k just going wide of the post.

9 minutes from time Brentford B managed to grab a 5th when Kolbeinn Finnsson was played through for his 2nd of the evening, sending the ball past McKenzie-Lyle with a neat chip.

A minute after Brentford B’s 5th, Antonis Vasiliou had another good chance but Patrik Gunnarsson went down low to deny Vasiliou from scoring.

The visitors came close to making it 6 when Kolbeinn Finnsson played through Theo Archibald but he put his shot across the face of goal and wide.

A good bit of goalkeeping denied Barnet getting onto the scoresheet towards the end when Dwight Pascal shot from distance was saved and then Gunnarsson denying Benji Aghadiuno on the rebound from close range.

Starting XI: McKenzie-Lyle (GK), Tompkins, Agyaakwah, Taylor, Kyei (Aghadiuno 55’), Syla (Vasiliou 45’), Smith (C), Barham (Connell HT), Pascal, Box and Bettamer

Unused subs: Azaze and Adeniran

Attendance: 167

Referee: Michael Smith