Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 1-0 Luton Town

The Bees made one change from the side that beat Peterborough in the Carabao Cup, with Curtis Weston starting for the first time this season in place of Wes Fonguck.

Barnet were forced into an early change as Elliott Johnson could not carry on following a collision, replaced by Charlie Clough.

In the 7th minute, Akpa Akpro sent through strike partner Shaq Coulthirst but the pass was delayed too long and the latter was flagged offside.

Shortly after, Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu had a half chance, scuffing his effort wide of Jamie Stephens’ left post.

Stephens was called into action spectacularly in the 17th minute, tipping Dan Potts’ header from a corner on to the bar.

There was more injury woe for the Bees in the 34th minute. Harry Taylor took an arm to the face and, with blood pouring out, was replaced by his brother Jack. Harry subsequently went to hospital.

The first half was a cagey affair, with neither side on top but Barnet started the second half brightly, Campbell-Ryce flashing shot narrowly across the face of the goal.

Jack Taylor picked up a booking 8 minutes into the second half after taking one for the team and halting a Luton break away.

Campbell-Ryce tested Stech moments later, with a curling effort being tipped around the post.

68 minutes in, Andrew Shinnie delivered a dangerous cross which evaded all the onrushing Luton attackers.

With 20 minutes to play, Fonguck was brought on and almost made an instant impact. A pile-driver of a shot rebounded around the Luton area but was eventually cleared.

Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu caused the Barnet defence issues moments later with a good burst of pace with equally good trickery earned his side a corner which was eventually cleared.

McCormack put a late challenge in on Jack Taylor in the 81st minute but, following much deliberation, only saw referee Kevin Johnson show the Luton man a yellow card.

Shortly after the fourth official displayed four minutes of stoppage time, the deadlock was broken.

A long ball over the top was cleared only as far as Jack Taylor 25-yards out. He curled an unbelievable effort past the helpless Marek Stech and lifted the roof off The Hive.

There was to be more drama shortly before the final whistle. Luton committed 10 men forward for a corner with seconds left on the clock, including goalkeeper Stech. It was delivered in and Olly Lee got on the end of it, but Jamie Stephens was there again to fantastically palm it over the crossbar.

MOTM: Jack Taylor
Attendance: 3555

Barnet: Stephens, Johnson (Clough, 3’), Santos, Nelson ©,Weston (Fonguck, 70), Campbell-Ryce, Coulthirst, Tutonda, H. Taylor (J Taylor, 37), Vilhete, Akpa Akpro.

Unused: Ross, Akinola, Bover, Amaluzor.