Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 1-1 AFC Fylde

Shaq Coulthirst opened the scoring for Barnet on 20 minutes but it was short-lived as Daniel Philliskirk’s header five minutes later meant the points were shared at The Hive.

The visitors had the ball in the net with just eight minutes on the clock after Philliskirk beat Mark Cousins from close range but the linesman raised his flag for offside.

A sigh of relief from Barnet was nearly followed up by the perfect response when Coulthirst saw his shot-on-the-turn well saved by Jay Lynch.

The Bees’ number 10 was in the thick of it soon after when he played in Cheye Alexander on the right flank before the full-back laid off Jack Taylor who fired into the hands of the Fylde ‘keeper from the edge of the box.

Up the other end, Jim Kellermann tested Cousins at his near post but the former Dagenham shot-stopper did well to palm his effort out for a corner.

That chance came six minutes before Barnet broke the dead-lock. Coulthirst, who instigated the majority of the Bees’ early pressure, opened the scoring with a well-placed low shot from 20 yards out to give John Still’s men the lead.

However, the one-goal advantage only lasted five minutes as Fylde’s Philliskirk latched onto a cross, heading home from close range to level the scoring.

The Bees could have gone in front again just past the half-hour mark when a corner was cleared to the feet of Taylor who blasted low and hard into the hands of Lynch from the edge of the area.

A succession of chances fell Barnet’s way moments before the break with the first falling to David Tutonda whose effort whistled over the bar.

Charlee Adams fired low from distance but it was comfortable enough for Lynch before Wes Funguck’s attempt from inside the box was blocked on the line.

The first chance of the second period fell to the visitors when Danny Rowe pulled the ball back before forcing Cousins into a low save from close range on 56 minutes.

Fylde’s Kellermann became the first player to pick up a yellow for kicking the ball away before Zaine Francis-Angol joined him in the referee’s book five minutes later for a foul on Alexander.

A golden chance fell to The Coasters on 69 minutes when Serhat Tasdemir’s shot was well saved by Cousins before Joe Cardle pounced on the rebound but failed to convert from close range.

Rowe could have put Fylde in front with five minutes of normal time remaining but his left-footed effort from mid-way inside the Barnet box was well saved at the near post by Cousins.

The Coasters’ number nine continued to cause problems minutes later after his thunderbolt of a strike from the edge of the area cannoned out of danger off the outside of the post.

Despite Fylde’s chances in the second half, the Bees managed to hold on to claim a point.

Still’s side are back in action on Tuesday night when they welcome Havant & Waterlooville to The Hive.

Barnet X1: Cousins, Alexander, Robson (C), Adams, Coulthirst, J.Taylor (Mason-Clarke), Fonguck, Tutonda, Sweeney, Barham (Walker), Jules

Unused Subs: Matrevics, Elito, Payne

Attendance: 1,101 (67 Fylde)