Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 1-1 FC Halifax Town

On a bitterly cold night at The Hive, Barnet FC met Halifax Town, a week after their last meeting, where the Bees were defeated 3-0. 

Barnet start the stronger out of the two teams with a flurry of Alexander crosses from the right-hand side.

Barnet’s goal started with some great play from Mason-Clark, as he plucked the ball out the air on the edge of the box, offloaded it to Wesley Fonguck, who got it out from under his feet quickly and finished smartly into the top corner of the Halifax goal.

Halifax’s and former Bee Manny Duku had a header and was saved very well by Cousins.

In the 30th minute, it was very clever play again from Mason-Clark who cuts in from the right and found Tarpey who had to work extremely hard to get his shot away. With quick reactions from Halifax keeper, Johnson, he sent it behind for a corner. The resulting corner was taken quickly and found Sweeney at the near post who headed wide.

Barnet dominated possession. Most of the attack came from the right-hand side with Alexander and Fonguck link up play.

Half time – After the additional 3 minutes The Bees went in at half time with a well-deserved 1-0 lead. The Bees then started the second half with same quick, attacking play that suited them so well in the first half.

The ball was picked up from Mason Clark who ran with it from his own half, 40 yards up the pitch finding Fonguck who struggled to get to release his shot. Eventually after being pinged around in the Halifax box, the keeper grabbed the ball.

In the 54th minute a long ball over the top found Tarpey who ran brilliantly with the ball, cutting in from the left onto his right, dummies the shot, once, twice and at the third attempt the shot is blocked.

Half way through the second half Sparks took a corner, laid it off to Alexander who then found Sweeney at the back post whose header thundered off the near post.

8 minutes later the visitors equalised, with a ball through the middle of The Bees’ defence found Devante Rodney, who took one touch and found the far corner of Cousins net.

The last 10 minutes saw The Bees with the lion’s share of possession but could not find the Halifax goal despite good play.

As the board went up for four additional minutes, Tarpey whipped in a delightful free-kick from the left-hand side narrowly missing Akinola’s outstretched leg.

Barnet threw everything at Halifax in the dying embers of the game however the ref ended what was a frustrating game for The Bees who have to share the points with Halifax. Barnet will feel extremely hard done by not to get the full 3 points. Darren Currie’s Barnet will play at The Hive on Saturday against Hartlepool.

Attendance: 702 (68 Halifax)

Barnet XI: Cousins (GK), Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds (c), Tarpey, Sparkes (77), Taylor, Boucaud, Fonguck, Sweeney, Mason-Clark (87)

Subs: Matrevics (GK), Akinola (77), Elito (87), Tutonda, Barham

Bookings: 7 Kosylo, 4 Clarke (Halifax)