Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 1-2 Gateshead

The visitors broke the deadlock on 20 minutes through Scott Boden before Jack Taylor levelled proceedings just before the hour mark. However, Luke Armstrong made sure his side travelled home with maximum points after finding the bottom corner on 75 minutes.

John Still made two changes after Wednesday’s FA Cup win with Josh Walker and Byron Harrison coming in for Mo Bettamer and Manny Duku. The Heed also made two changes after their goalless draw at home to Sutton United last weekend.

The first real chance of the game fell to the visitors on 15 minutes after Armstrong latched onto a cross from the left before his header was well saved by Mark Cousins.

The Heed did have their noses in front soon after though after Greg Olley whipped in a delightful ball from the right for Boden to tap home from close range.

The Bees piled the pressure on five minutes later after Walker produced some sublime skill before feeding Wes Fonguck. However, the midfielder failed to convert and Gateshead were able to clear their lines.

Walker was in the thick of it yet again soon after. This time, the number 22 found Charlee Adams at the edge of the box but his low effort whistled past the post.

Elliott Johnson nearly saw his cross from the left flank float all the way into the net on the half-hour mark but Aynsley Pears was on hand to punch the ball out of danger.

The Bees maintained their attacking strength in the latter stages of the first half but couldn’t grab an equaliser to take into the break.

Walker produced the first chance after the restart but his low drive from the edge of the area deflected wide for a corner.

Up the other end, Gateshead could have extended their lead after Luke Molyneux let fly from the edge of the area but his effort cannoned back off the bar.

The missed opportunity proved costly as the Bees found an equaliser moments later. Harrison did well to skip past the Gateshead defence before his deflected shot fell to Taylor who smashed the ball home via the woodwork.

Tom White picked up a yellow for The Heed for a foul moments before goal scorer Taylor found Fonguck but his low effort failed to trouble Pears.

The Heed regained their lead with 15 minutes remaining. A through ball fell to the feet of their top scorer Armstrong who found the bottom corner, netting his seventh of the season.

Robbie Tinker received a booking for time wasting seconds before Manny Duku saw his header crash against the crossbar on 85 minutes.

The Bees came close to bagging another equaliser again in stoppage time when a low cross fell to substitute Dan Sparkes. However, he slid in at the far post but couldn’t convert from close range meaning the hosts ended the game empty handed.

Still’s men take another break from league action next weekend as they welcome Stockport County to The Hive London in the Emirates FA Cup Second Round.

Barnet Starting Line-up: Cousins, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds ©, Robson, Adams (Bettamer), Harrison, Taylor, Fonguck (Sparkes), Walker (Duku), Sweeney.

Unused Subs: Matrevics, Elito.

Attendance: 940