Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 1-2 Wrexham

Despite Shaq Coulthirst cancelling out Akil Wright’s opener, a late chip from substitute Jermaine McGlashan sealed the three points for the promotion chasers. 

The Bees made three changes from the side that fell to a 2-1 defeat away at Maidstone United on Tuesday. Elliott Johnson, Ricardo Santos and Andre Boucaud all returned to the starting line-up in place of Cheye Alexander, Wes Fonguck and David Tutonda. As for the visitors, Kieran Kennedy replaced Jake Lawlor in their only change from last weekend’s 3-1 win over Braintree.

The first chance of the game fell Barnet’s way with only five minutes on the clock. Medy Elito swung in a free-kick from the left which was headed down by Ricardo Santos before Craig Robson smashed it over from close range.

The Bees piled the pressure on again soon after when an Elliott Johnson cross found Ephron Mason-Clark who teed up Coulthirst but his low effort was saved.

Up the other end and Wrexham should have put their noses in front after Bobby Grant found space before unleashing a driving shot from distance, hitting the left post.

After Coulthirst was fouled mid-way into the Dragons’ half just shy of the half-hour mark, Elito stepped up to float in the resulting free-kick. The ball then found the head of Dan Sweeney but his effort from close range was well dealt with by Robert Lainton.

Both sides posed an attacking threat in the first 45 but nothing could split the pair going into the break.

However, it didn’t take long before the dead-lock was eventually broken when the two sides returned to the field. After a delightful ball was floated into the box, Wright was on hand to head past Mark Cousins two minutes into the second period.

After a spell on the side-lines, Jack Taylor returned to action on 56 minutes, making way for Dan Sweeney.

The latter moved into midfield for the game as Santos filled in at the back and shortly after the change, Barnet’s number five picked up the first booking of the game after committing a foul.

The Bees defender was in the thick of the action again, starting an attacking push which ended in Harry Taylor crossing in for brother Jack who headed wide of the post.

Soon after, Santos continued his attacking threat, this time floating in a cross which led to the equaliser as Coulthirst latched onto it to bury the ball home from close range.

The striker nearly bagged his second moments after Grant was booked for a foul on Johnson. After the ball floated over the top, Coulthirst volleyed first time from inside the box but his effort blazed over the bar. 

With just over 10 minutes remaining, Jack Taylor tried to mark his return with a goal again after finding space on the edge of the area before striking wide of the post.

McGlashan then came on as part of a double change for the visitors and it didn’t take long before he made an impact. The Wrexham number 15 chipped the ball over Cousins to bag the winner five minutes from time.

However, the Bees searched for an equaliser and Andre Boucaud could have scored the goal of the season after letting rip from distance but his effort could only find the Bees Terrace.

His shot proved to be the last chance of the game as the Bees couldn’t return to winning ways. 

Darren Currie’s side return to action next Saturday when we travel to Fylde.

BARNET: Cousins, Johnson, Reynolds, Santos, Robson, Coulthirst, H.Taylor, Boucaud, Elito (Tarpey), Sweeney (J.Taylor), Mason-Clark (Fonguck).

BARNET UNUSED SUBS: Matrevics, Alexander.

WREXHAM: Lainton, Roberts, Pearson (C), Kennedy, Young, Holroyd, Carrington, Rutherford (Summerfield), Wright, Beavon (Oswell), Grant (McGlashan).

WREXHAM UNUSED SUBS: Dibble, Jennings, Summerfield.

ATTENDANCE: 1,594 (425 Wrexham)