Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 3-1 Barrow

Goals from Elliott Johnson, Shaq Coulthirst and an own goal sealed the victory despite Kyle Jameson pulling one back late on.

The Bees made three changes from the side who lost to Chesterfield in mid-week; Cheye Alexander, Andre Boucaud and Jack Barham coming in for Simeon Akinola, Harry Taylor and Ashley Charles. Barrow also made a triple switch to their starting line-up after their 0-0 draw with Ebbsfleet last time out as Connor Brown, Jacob Blyth and Kyle Jennings all received the nod.

Darren Currie’s side took the lead with only four minutes on the clock after a dangerous cross found Johnson at the far post and the full-back poked home from close range.

After a quiet spell, the Bees then had a chance to double their lead 14 minutes later after Medy Elito played in a dangerous ball to Barham whose effort from close range rolled past the post.

Moments later and Coulthirst tried to add his name on the score-sheet, firing from just inside the box but his shot was comfortable enough for Joel Dixon to catch.

The Bees had another chance with just over five minutes left of the first period as Wes Fonguck fired in a low cross which was dragged wide by Barham.

Up the other end and Barrow had an opportunity to equalise after Dior Angus cut inside before blasting just over Mark Cousins’ goal.

Prior to the three minutes of added time, Barnet produced more attacking threat ending in Andre Boucaud floating in a delightful cross which was headed into the side-netting by Coulthirst.

The Barnet number 10 then saw his effort from distance deflect out for a corner, proving to be the final chance of a brilliant first half for the Bees.

Barnet began the second period just how they ended the first, on the front foot. Coulthirst did well to deliver a dangerous cross, missing the head of Barham before Alexander was there to pick it up, shooting into the hands of Dixon.

Barnet were at it again when Elito pulled the trigger from distance, forcing a strong diving save from Dixon to tip the ball over.

The Bees did eventually have their second on the hour mark when a ball was played through to Coulthirst by Barham who buried it into the bottom left corner.

The forward latched onto another ball soon after before he was appeared to be brought down. However, the referee waved all penalty claims away.

It didn’t matter though as the Bees did have their third moments later when Fonguck’s cross was turned into the back of his own net by Dan Jones.

After two great saves from Cousins, the second resulting corner fell to Jameson who was on hand to tap home from close range.

Despite late pressure from the visitors, the Bees managed to hold on and claim three very important points.

BARNET: Cousins, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds, Robson (c), Coulthirst (Mason-Clark), Boucaud, Fonguck, Elito (H.Taylor), Sweeney, Barham.

UNUSED SUBS: Matrevics, Harrison, Akinola.

BARROW: Dixon, Brown, Jones (c), Rooney, Blyth, Kay (Hindle), Angus (Turner), Hardcastle, Barthram (Molyneux), Jameson, Jennings.

UNUSED SUBS: Burgess, Sloan.

ATTENDANCE: 1022 (102 Barrow)