Barnet Football Club



Report | Barnet FC 3-4 AFC Wimbledon – Checkatrade Trophy

The Dons took the lead after just 5 minutes, Anthony Hartigan tried his luck from distance and Craig Ross could only parry the ball into the net, a moment the Barnet ‘keeper will wish to forget.

Barnet responded brightly and 6 minutes later the game was all tied up. Coulthirst was fouled on the edge of the box, giving Ruben Bover the chance to line up a free kick. The Spaniard stepped up and powerfully curled it over the wall and into the top left corner for his first ever Barnet goal.

Wimbledon restored their one goal advantage just a couple of minutes later. Forrester had an effort well saved by Ross but it fell straight into the path of Egli Kaja who had a simple finish.

The goal-fest continued in the 25th minute when Shaq Coulthirst got in on the act. Ruben Bover played a through ball, Coulthirst cut inside before placing a shot from the edge of the box low into the bottom left corner of the goal.

Nightingale’s header from a corner on the half hour mark was saved comfortably by Craig Ross.

Coulthirst sent through Ruben Bover in the 35th minute but he couldn’t double his tally, McDonnell palming his shot wide.

Craig Ross was called into action again shortly after, this time with an excellent save to deny Cody McDonald at his near post.

Before the half time whistle, Ruben Bover’s corner was narrowly headed wide by skipper for the night Charlie Clough.

Wimbledon took the lead two minutes after the break. A cross from the left found Cody McDonald unmarked to head home.

They went two clear in the 56th minute. Kennedy delivered a dangerous cross and David Tutonda sliced a clearance past the helpless Craig Ross.

Coulthirst was soon prevented the opportunity to get his second of the match after a spectacular save from McDonnell after a one-on-one with the Barnet number 11.

With 20 minutes to go, Craig Ross pulled of an excellent save from George Francomb’s free kick which was destined for the top corner.

In the 88th minute, Barnet reduced the deficit with the goal of the night. Debutant Andre Blackman was given too much time and space and unleashed a stunning strike from 25 yards with the outside of his left boot.

Simeon Akinola almost forced the game to penalties in stoppage time, his looping effort going inches wide of the far post.

Attendance: 696

Barnet: Ross, Clough, Coulthirst (Amaluzor 82’), J. Taylor, Tutonda, Akinola, Bover (Akpa Akpro 73’), Fonguck (H. Taylor 61’), Vilhete, Blackman, Smith.

Unused subs: R McKenzie-Lyle, Santos, Kyei, Shomotun.