Barnet Football Club



Report: Leyton Orient 1-3 Barnet

A pair of Ricardo Santos goals moved Barnet into the EFL League Two play-off places with a 3-1 victory at Leyton Orient.
The defender, who only joined on January 1 in a £100,000 switch from Peterborough United, seized on a lapse in concentration to bag the opener from point-blank range in the 63rd minute.
Three minutes later Santos opened up his body to meet Nana Kyei’s tantalising left-wing cross and give the Bees a lead their performance had long since merited.
In the 78th minute Leyton Orient got one back, Paul McCallum heading in Callum Kennedy’s cross.
Curtis Weston wrapped up the points in stoppage time, firing into the empty net as the Bees clinched three points to move into the top seven.
Rossi Eames and Henry Newman named the same XI which beat League Two leaders Plymouth Argyle on Monday, meaning Santos and Simeon Akinola again started.
On the bench there was a place for Tom Champion who was fit again after suffering a calf injury at Yeovil Town nearly a month ago.
Barnet burst out of the blocks and really should have gone in front after three minutes when Weston slung in a cross from the right which John Akinde side footed wide.
Six minutes later the Bees suffered a setback when keeper Jamie Stephens was forced off after making a stop from Orient winger Josh Koroma.
Orient’s best chance of the half came after 21 minutes when midfielder Michael Collins saw a rasping drive deflected wide for a corner.
Almost immediately the Bees went closer still. Mauro Vilhete crossed from the left for Akinde to knock down at the back post but neither Santos nor Akinola could turn home from close range.
Just before the half-hour mark Akinola brought a fine stop out of O’s keeper Cisak. Weston lobbed the ball forward and the Bees new boy struck a firm half volley which the Australian stopper did well to parry away.
Five minutes later Harry Taylor hooked the ball forward for Akinde who used his physique to barge his way into the penalty area before firing his shot straight at Cisak.
Akinde had another gilt-edged chance in the 38th minute, outmuscling Orient centre-half Yvan Erichot who did enough to bring the Bees hitman down. However, Akinde got back to his feet and advanced only to slash wide of the target
Just before the break Cisak again denied the Bees, this time re-adjusting his feet well to get down to Vilhete’s low strike after the Portuguese had wriggled into the box.
The final chance of the half went Barnet’s way a minute later; Weston hooking the ball over his shoulder for Akinde who headed straight at the overworked Cisak.
Barnet finally made the breakthrough in the 63rd minute. Vilhete delivered a short corner from the left and the otherwise impeccable Cisak lost the ball. Santos pounced, tucking home from point-blank range.
Three minutes later the big Portuguese defender doubled up to spark pandemonium among the Bees supporters.
Kyei crossed low from the left and Santos converted with the confidence of a centre forward rather than a centre-half.
However, with 12 minutes remaining the O’s found a lifeline through McCallum who headed home Kennedy’s corner from the right-hand side.
But the goal failed to prompt an onslaught from Andy Edwards’ side and Barnet sealed the win with a third in stoppage time.
Substitute – and former O – Jamal Campbell-Ryce danced into the area and struck the underside of the bar. But Weston was on hand to hook into the empty net.
Next up for the Bees is a visit from promotion hopefuls Doncaster Rovers next weekend (3pm kick off).
Barnet: Stephens (Vickers 9); H. Taylor, Nelson (c), Santos, Johnson; Vilhete, Weston, J. Taylor, Kyei (Champion 70); Akinola (Campbell-Ryce 61); Akinde.
Subs: Gambin, Muggleton, Nicholls, Tutonda.
Leyton Orient: Cisak; Hunt (c), Parkes, Erichot, Kennedy; Atangana, Mezague (Palmer 67); Massey, Collins, Koroma (N’Nomo 73); McCallum.
Subs: Sargeant (GK), Bowery, Moncur, Pollock, Judd.
Referee: Andy Haines.
Attendance: 4,642 (730 Barnet  supporters).