Barnet Football Club



Report: Plymouth Argyle 0-2 Barnet

Goals from Bira Dembele and John Akinde sealed Barnet’s second ever win at Plymouth Argyle in EFL League Two with the Bees running out 2-0 winner.
Dembele put the Bees ahead after seven minutes with a header from a corner before Akinde slotted home his 23rd goal in 24 league outings on the stroke of half time.
Martin Allen made two changes from the side which drew 0-0 with Crewe Alexandra at The Hive on Saturday.
Harry Taylor came in for Sam Muggleton which meant Elliott Johnson returned to left-back. The other change saw Dembele, back from suspension, in for Bondz N’Gala who had been sold to Eastleigh earlier in the day.
The Bees endured far more territory in the opening stages and were rewarded for their bold start when they took the lead after seven minutes.
A Luke Gambin corner from the right was attacked by Dembele who nodded beyond Argyle keeper Luke McCormick.
Four minutes later a superb pass inside from Taylor found Curtis Weston, again playing behind Akinde, but he dragged wide of the post.
Plymouth finally sprung into life after 16 minutes. Derek Adams’ side slickly moved from right to left before David Fox let fly, rattling the crossbar.
A Jake Jervis cross from the right a few minutes later only needed a touch from Yann Songo’o to level but, not for the first time, the impressive Taylor got in the way to head clear.
Barnet were being limited to chances on the break, their best coming when Michael Nelson lofted the ball into Akinde. He laid off for Gambin but the Maltese international could not find a way past McCormick with a powerful drive.
Underworked until this point, Jamie Stephens was called upon to save well from the lively Jervis eight minutes before the break, getting down low to deny the forward 1v1.
The value of that stop only increased before the break when the Bees doubled their lead on the stroke of half time.
An inch-perfect lob over the Plymouth defence by Mauro Vilhete found Akinde and he strode through to tuck under the advancing McCormick.
Bees boss Allen made one change at half time, bringing Ben Tomlinson on for Taylor, meaning Vilhete reverted to right-back.
Predictably, Plymouth pushed hard for an equaliser but struggled to create noteworthy chances in a half where they enjoyed more of the ball.
Argyle defender Sonny Bradley went close after seven second-half minutes, meeting Graham Carey’s inswinging free kick but heading over the bar.
Sixty seconds later Stephens was called upon to make one of his only two real saves, clawing out another Bradley header.
As Plymouth’s desperation grew, so did Barnet’s threat on the counter. 
The Bees’ best opportunity to extend their lead came in the 65th minute when a raking Champion pass released Akinde. However, his shot was tame and McCormick was able to hold.
There was still one last opportunity for Plymouth late on, substitute Arnold Garita bringing a good stop out of Stephens on the turn.
The expected onslaught never came and the Bees picked up just their second win at Home Park with a hard-working and disciplined displayaq. 
Next up is a visit from Notts County on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).
Barnet: Stephens; H. Taylor (Tomlinson HT), Nelson (c), Dembele, Johnson; Vilhete, Watson (Togwll 90), Champion, Gambin (Nicholls 85); Weston; Akinde.
Subs: Vickers (GK), Muggleton, Akpa Akpro, Mason-Clark. 
Plymouth Argyle: McCormick; Miller, Bulvitis (Slew 78), Bradley, Threlkeld (Tanner 69); Songo’o (Garita HT), Fox, Smith; Carey, Goodwillie, Jervis.
Subs: Dorel (GK), Donaldson, Osborne, Rooney.
Referee: Brett Huxtable.
Attendance: 7,188 (42 Barnet supporters).