Barnet Football Club




Barnet secured a 3-1 win against St Albans in their first match of pre-season at Clarence Park.
Andy Yiadom opened the scoring with Harry Crawford adding a second before the break, although he didn’t know much about it! 
The Saints pulled one back early in the second-half but the win was never in doubt and Mauro Vilhete secured the victory with 25 minutes remaining.
It took Barnet just five minutes to break the deadlock as the irrepressible Luke Gambin burst down the left and cut the ball back to Yiadom who fired the ball into the corner. 
Moments later Elliot Johnson saw his cross-shot hit the side netting before Mark Byrne sent a 30-yard daisy-cutter inches wide.
Dom Vose, who is aiming to play a big role this season, controlled the midfield in the opening stages and injected the pace needed to keep the Bees flying forward. With 16 minutes played this allowed Gambin to curl a shot towards goal where Paul Bastock saved. 
With 19 minutes on the clock the home side had their first and only chance of the half when the Bees failed to clear and John Fredo fired the ball over the bar. 
Just one minute later the Bees doubled their lead. Gambin and Johnson combined well down the left and the former found Byrne whose shot smashed against Crawford and deflected into the net.
Jon Nurse, who was replaced by Mauro Vilhete at half-time, also impressed, often cutting in from the right, drifting past his man and creating opportunities for himself and the team. 
The Saints made a host of changes at the break and with five minutes of the second period played it paid off as Ryan Ash curled the ball past Graham Stack to make it 1-2.
The Bees responded with changes of their own as Edgar Davids and George Sykes replaced Curtis Weston and Vose. 
With 65 minutes on the clock the Bees two goal advantage was restored as Vilhete slotted home after the keeper palmed Yiadom’s cross back into the danger zone.
More changes followed for the boys in black and amber with Iffy Allen and Jordan Brown both getting a run out. 
David Stephens was as impressive as ever at the back and he almost made an impact going forward but his effort was ruled out for a foul.
With 15 minutes remaining Allen almost added a stunning fourth as his 35-yard lob was just tipped to safety. 
Vilhete, Sykes and Johnson also went close in the closing stages of the game but it ended St Albans 1-3 Barnet. 
Barnet Stack; Yiadom, Acheampong, Stephens, Johnson; Weston, Vose; Nurse, Gambin; Crawford.
Subs: Cowler, Brown, Allen, Sykes, Davids, Vilhete. 
Paul Bastock; Hall, Chapell, Martin, Locke; Wharton, Graham, Comley, Ngoyo; Frendo, O’Leary.
Subs: Ash.