Barnet Football Club



Torquay United v Barnet

Barnet suffered a devastating 3-2 defeat away to Torquay United on Tuesday night. 

Elliot Benyon opened the scoring in the first-half but Jake Hyde equalised with his first kick of the match on 56 minutes. 

It took just two minutes for the home side to retake the lead as Billy Bodin smashed the ball past Stack. Brian Saah added a third before Jake Hyde got his second but it was not enough for the Bees who slip into the relegation zone with two games to play. 

The home side made a bright start to the match and they had the first opportunity when Rene Howe tested Graham Stack from range. 

Billy Bodin and Ryan Jarvis were next to try their luck but both shot wide in the opening 15 minutes. 

The Gulls continued to press down the left and they broke the deadlock with 25 minutes played. Edgar Davids foul on Howe resulted in a free-kick 30-yards from goal which Kevin Nicholson whipped in to Brian Saah headed back across goal to Benyon who headed into the top corner. 

Five minutes later Saah was received the first yellow card of the match for a foul on Davids, Andy Yiadom was ruled offside from the free-kick. 

With 35 minutes played Barnet were denied twice as Michael Poke pulled off a stunning double save. Yiadom was first to test the keeper who pushed his powerful shot as far as Oster who saw his shot tipped narrowly beyond the post. 

Keanu Marsh-Brown impressed down the right and he added some much needed pace to the Barnet attack but his hard work went unrewarded as the half ended Torquay United 1 Barnet 0. 

With 56 minutes played Hyde replaced John Oster and the Bees top scorer made an immediate impact as he headed home from a Davids’ free-kick. 

However, the score didn’t stay level for long as Bodin capitalised on a defensive mishap to smash the ball past Stack. 

The hosts soon added a third and yet again it was an extremely soft goal to concede as Saah headed a deep cross back across goal and in via the post. 

Luke Gambin then replaced Davids and just like Barnet’s first substitute, Hyde, he made an impact. The winger fired the ball across goal and Harry Crawford diverted the ball into the path of Hyde who smashed the ball across goal and into the bottom corner. 

Five minutes of time were added on and the Bees could have made it 3-3 but Crawford headed over a Gambin cross.