Barnet Football Club




FA Youth Cup – Wednesday 17th October

Brentford U18 V Barnet U18

Result – Brentford 5 Barnet 1

Goal – Sykes (pen)

Team- Barnes, Redley, Guthmy, Khlaf, Marrah, Thomas, Charles, Abrahams, Sykes, Hippolyte, Cain. Subs – Stevens, Duckrell, Harris, Dixon, Ballogan

Barnet Under 18 faced a tricky away fixture in the FA Youth Cup 1st round at Brentford, after a decent run of results and performances the team let themselves down badly in this game. After a bright start, the young Bees moved the ball around well getting the midfield players in possession, switching play well, all the things the players have been working on all week. Brentford took control of this game on 14 minutes when their striker was allowed to turn in the box and score. Barnet started to lose their shape and failed to press as a team and allowed them far too much room to play. On 44 min a cross from the right resulted in the home team going two goals up after their player was allowed space to side foot past Dillon Barnes in goal. With half time approaching the team were handed a life line when a poor clearance by their centre half resulted in George Sykes being pulled down and he scored from the resulting penalty.

At half time the players were given some forceful feedback and told that the performance so far was unacceptable and that a lot more was expected in the second half but they were not out of the game. At half time the Bees changed their shape to a 4-4-2 in an attempt to try and get back in the game.

During the second half the team responded more positively but still couldn’t produce the performance the players and staff expected. From a corner, a mistake from the Barnet keeper allowed Brentford to score and effectively kill the game. Barnet pushed on regardless, with shots hitting the post, crosses coming in from the right and left but nothing fell to any of the players. It was 4-1 shortly after when Brentford’s winger was allowed to drive into the box and square the ball and with virtually the last kick of the game a strike from about 25 yards beat Dillon to his right side.

This was a poor and unacceptable performance from the players and lessons have to be learned if they wish to go further in the game. A real positive however, is that on the night the squad had four Under 16s with the team; Alfie Cain, Elliott Harris, Kier Dixon and Jack Stevens, with three getting game time. Well done to those young players involved in an experience which will serve them well in the long term.

The next game for the Under 16s and Under 18s is this Saturday 20th October against Colchester United at the Hive.