Barnet Football Club



Youth Team hit double figures in FA Youth Cup

The Barnet FC Youth Team progressed to the next round of the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday night in emphatic style by beating FC Clacton 11-1.

The U18s put on a show on the first team pitch at The Hive under floodlights, with eight different scorers finding the net as they won the second qualifying round tie in front of an appreciative home crowd.

Severe traffic delays meant that kick-off was delayed by 50 minutes and it clearly affected the visitors as Barnet made a fast start, taking the lead after just three minutes when Mathew Stevens raced on to a ball over the top before lobbing the goalkeeper with a precise finish.

The prolific striker scored a second two minutes later, showing quick reactions to stab into the top after the goalkeeper had parried a shot from a corner.

The goals kept coming, as Alfie Cain – one of four U18 players to make their first team debut in the pre-season friendly against Luton town this summer – lashed home from the edge of the area to make it 3-0 after ten minutes.

The fourth came shortly after the quarter-hour mark as winger Elliott Harris raced through and calmly slotted home when one-on-one.

Striker Brian Testolin then made it five on 27 minutes with a fizzing shot that kept low and bounced through Giddings in the Clacton goal.

The sixth came with an excellent goal from George Berkes, who surged forward before playing a neat one-two on the edge of the box and firing into the far corner.

Fellow full-back Tamille Roache then scored number seven, thumping home from the edge of the box after a free-kick had been rolled into his path.

Mathew Stevens then completed his hat-trick seconds before the interval to make it 8-0 at half-time, winning the ball on the halfway line before driving forward and holding off his man to finish from close range.

Stevens was withdrawn at the break to be replaced by Shane Cojocarel with attacking midfielder Fumnaya Shomotun also coming on for Wesley Fonguck, whilst Ryan Gondoh took the place of the injured Testolin seven minutes into the second period.

The Bees were made to wait for their ninth until the 69th minute, with Shomotun getting on the scoresheet after collecting a pass following some neat interplay on the edge of the area and planting the ball beyond Giddings into the net.

Barnet hit double figures with just over ten minutes remaining, as Elliott Harris finished from close range following a surging run by Jack Taylor from the heart of midfield.

Cojocarel then got the goal that his efforts deserved three minutes later, trapping the ball after Giddings had parried Harris’ initial effort and sliding the ball underneath the keeper to make it 11-0.

Clacton did get a goal themselves during the closing stages as substitute Toby Harms produced an excellent finish after the Bees had failed to clear the ball.

The resounding win means that the Youth Team progress to the next round of the competition whilst still sitting six points clear at the top of their league.

Next up for the U18s is the visit of Northampton – the only team to beat them so far this season – to The Hive on Saturday morning in a game that kicks off at 10:30.