Barnet Football Club



Youth Team pull off incredible comeback

The Barnet Youth Team claimed their first win of the new season on Saturday, registering an incredible 5-4 victory away to Gillingham after coming back from being 4-1 down at half-time.

Barnet started the game strongly and took the lead after just six minutes through an exquisite team goal built on quick passing and impressive combination play, as a series of one-twos set up midfielder Jack Taylor to convert from inside the area.

Barnet had a glorious chance to double their advantage from the penalty spot on 12 minutes after U16 player Daniel Cheema was bundled over in the box. However, having already missing a penalty in last week’s 3-3 draw with Leyton Orient, Barnet failed to convert their second spot-kick inside a week as Matt Stephens saw his effort saved.

The missed penalty resulted in a swing in the direction of the game, with Barnet losing their early momentum as Gillingham grew into the contest. As a result, the Bees would go on to concede four goals in fifteen first-half minutes through giving away possession and struggling to defend set-pieces.

However, having found themselves 4-1 down at the interval, the second half saw Barnet produce a stunning comeback to turn the game around and claim an incredible victory.

It all began in the 55th minute, when, having only been on the pitch a matter of seconds, substitute Eddi Ndi scored a 35-yard thunderbolt into the top corner of the net with virtually his first touch of the game to pull a goal back for the visitors.

This time it was Gillingham who struggled to recover from the setback, with Barnet rampant from that moment on.

On 72 minutes Nana Emmanuel burst through the defence after beating two players and rounded the goalkeeper before being brought down in the box. Despite the foul the referee played an excellent advantage, allowing Matt Stephens to slot into the empty net to make the score 4-3.

Barnet’s equaliser came in virtually identical circumstances eight minutes later when Emmanuel raced through before being sent tumbling by the goalkeeper once again. This time the referee awarded the penalty, as Emmanuel dusted himself off to convert calmly.

The visitors applied constant pressure throughout the final ten minutes of the game as they searched for a dramatic winner, and it finally came with just two minutes left on the clock.

Once again, neat interplay was at the heart of the goal as Hakeen Odofin and Wesley Fonguck combined before cutting a pass back for Fumnaya Shomotum to score with a side-foot finish from the edge of the penalty area and spark wild scenes of celebration on the touchline.

The victory means that the Youth Team have now taken four points from their opening two games of the season, and they will be looking to increase that tally on Wednesday when they travel to take on Northampton Town.