Barnet Football Club


Barnet FC v Rotherham United

Barnet added a point to their season’s total with this 0-0 draw against big-budget Rotherham United, but in addition will have gained a much needed boost to their confidence by managing a clean sheet for the first time this campaign and in terms of the number of chances created the Bees looked a much more productive outfit.

Clearly the fact that none of these chances was converted into goals is an issue, but the Bees did look more of a goal threat today and Collins John is waiting in the wings.

Jake Hyde won a place in the starting line-up, with Ricky Holmes also playing further forward. The Bees had a solid look in midfield with Clovis Kamdjo and Olly Lee in the centre, Ahmed Abdullah out on the right with John Oster having licence to roam from a left-sided starting point.

An early cross on the run by Jordan Brown caused problems in the visitors’ defence with the resulting header from Hyde going narrowly wide with Holmes prominent in many of Barnet’s attacks.

Kamdjo was effective in breaking up much of Rotherham’s play and Oster was calmly keeping things ticking over, more often than not making an incisive pass.

Lee hit a well-struck effort on the volley from a well-placed Oster corner that flew only a fraction over the crossbar; it would have been a picture-book goal.

Barnet were getting their shots away and were keeping the watching annalists busy ticking their “shots on target boxes.”

You could almost see in front of your own eyes the central defensive partnership between David Stephens and Krystian Pearce developing into a formidable barrier.

The half finished with Holmes taking the ball goalwards and his shot so nearly gave the Bees a lead their good play in the first 45 minutes had warranted.

The Bees did not offer quite so much in the second-half; but were still creating enough chances to win the game.

Early in the second-half a Barry Fuller cross was nicely set up by Hyde for Lee to shoot for goal but his effort flew over the target. This was a good chance.

Mid-way through the half Graham Stack was then called upon to make an excellent save from point-blank range; a key moment in the Bees keeping a clean-sheet.

Fuller on a foray forward from the half-way line exchanged a 1-2 with Abdullah and continued his run before unleashing a shot from the edge of the box that really tested Scott Shearer in the Millers’ goal. A corner was scant reward.

The Bees continued to knock at the door, but just couldn’t manage a breakthrough.

At the final whistle the players left to good applause, the effort was clear to see as was the marked improvement in Barnet’s all-round play.

The Bees now travel to far-flung Fleetwood Town next Saturday with renewed confidence in their abilities.

David Bloomfield