Barnet Football Club



Barnet were well beaten at The Hive as the promotion dream ended in disappointing fashion in a 4-0 National League Play-off semi-final defeat to Solihull Moors.


Dean Brennan made two changes to the starting XI who had the task of reaching Wembley, Adebola Oluwo and Harry Pritchard came in for Ben Coker and Zak Brunt. The atmosphere prematch was at fever pitch, as all the hard work over the last 10 months came down to a final 90 minutes at The Hive.

The game got underway and almost immediately, Barnet had an opportunity to score when a long ball was chased down by top goalscorer Nicke Kabamba, but the Solihull keeper was quick to

But the first real chance came moments later for The Bees as a Luke Freeman free kick was whipped in and found the head of Oluwo, but the centre half couldn’t get his effort on target.


Solihull responded well though and forced Josh Keeley into a double save however after just six minutes, Solihull took an early lead when James Clarke headed home from the visitors first set

Barnet didn’t let the early goal faze them though as they continued to test the visitor’s resilience.


Plenty of opportunities came the hosts’ way but The Bees just couldn’t find an equaliser.


After 20 minutes of sustained Bees pressure, Solihull doubled their lead against the run of play, when Jack Stevens found a way past an outstretched Keeley, with a fine finish after 27 minutes.

That goal took the sting out of The Bees and the tempo of the match slowed as Solihull headed towards the break with a healthy advantage. 3 minutes were added on there was no 3rd goal before half-time. Barnet headed in knowing there was a lot to do if they were to keep their promotion hopes alive.


HT: Barnet 0-2 Solihull Moors


No changes to the sides when the game resumed, with Barnet looking to find a way back into the game. Much to the disappointment of the home crowd however, it was Solihull who started the
brighter of the two teams, looking to add to their lead but neither goalkeeper was tested in the early exchanges of the second half.


In the 55th minute, Brennan made two changes in hope of gaining some control over proceedings, with Zak Brunt coming on for Dale Gorman and Callum Stead replaced Luke Freeman after returning from injury.


But just after the hour mark, Solihull were heading for Wembley when a scramble in the box fell to Tahvon Campbell who tucked away the visitor’s 3rd of the evening and Barnet’s season was heading for a sorrowful end.


The final change for The Bees came on 70 minutes, when Oluwo was replaced by Ben Coker.


Barnet pushed for a way back into the game, but Solihull held firm at the back, heading and clearing away numerous crosses as The Bees tried desperately to score. the final nail in the coffin
came though on 89 minutes when a Solihull break ended with Joe Sbarra tucking away his effort past Keeley, sending the away fans and dugout into raptures.


The full-time whistle blew after six minutes of added time and Barnet’s promotion dreams were over. Most of the 4000+ Bees fans stayed to show their appreciation to the players, but Barnet
will have to go again next season.


FT: Barnet 0-4 Solihull Moors


Starting XI: Keeley, Collinge, Okimo, Gorman (Brunt 55’), Kabamba, Kanu, Freeman (Stead 55’), Pritchard, Hartigan, Oluwo (Coker 70’), Cropper
Unused Subs: Walker, Hall-Johnson
Yellow: Cropper, Stead
Attendance 4,560 (331 Away)