Barnet Football Club


Match Report: Barnet 1-1 Scunthorpe United

Dean Brennan’s Barnet were back in action on Friday night against Scunthorpe United!

The first chance of the game came for the Bees, with a Ben Wynter cross being intercepted, before the ball rebounded off Rob Hall, resulting in a goal kick for the away side.


Not long after, Barnet were awarded a corner, which Hall swung in dangerously, meeting the head of Pritchard whose header sailed just wide off the post.


Barnet continued to dominate the first 15 minutes, seeing a large majority of the possession, but the game remained deadlocked.


In the 18th minute, another Barnet corner was awarded by referee Lewis Smith, with the ball eventually falling to Ryan De Havilland after the corner was cleared. His searching ball into the box was found by Collinge, who headed just wide.


The next run of play saw Bees’ top scorer Kabamba through on goal, but his low shot was saved well by the away keeper.


25 minutes in, Scunthorpe were starting to grow into the game more, keeping more possession, however chances were few and far between for The Iron.


In the 32nd minute, the home side looked to start a counterattack before Rob Hall was dragged down by a Scunthorpe defender.


Just 3 minutes later, the Bees saw another chance come their way, from the corner spot once again. This time Hall’s delivery was met in the box by Collinge, who was unable to convert his header into the net.


The home side were awarded a free kick in an extremely dangerous area when Kabamba was pulled down just on the edge of the D in the 40th minute. Rob Hall stepped up to take the free kick, but his effort ricocheted off the wall.


It seemed as if the majority of the first half saw foul after foul, with both sides being awarded a large number of free kicks around the halfway line.


1 minute of added time was awarded by the referee, before the whistle went, and both teams went down the tunnel goalless.



The Iron started the second half the better of the two sides, with the first chance of the half coming for the away side.

The Bees’ first substitute came in the 51st minute, with Marvin Armstrong making way for Sean Shields.


Scunthorpe continued the second half looking dangerous, with the best chance of the game for either side coming in the 56th minute. The away side did well to progress the ball up the pitch, before a cross, aimed at Iron top scorer Joe Nuttall, met the left foot of the striker, whose effort was kept out superbly by Laurie Walker.


A stark contrast between the first 15 minutes of the first half, and the second, with the away side looking more dominant this time around.


Brennan’s side finally looked to be creating some chances for themselves, with a Bees’ free kick falling in the 6-yard box to Nicke Kabamba, before the ball was cleared for a corner.


In the 67th minute, Barnet were awarded a corner kick following Kabamba’s blocked effort. Rob Hall was the man to deliver, and his delivery was cleared only as far as Sean Shields. Shields opted to hit it first time from long range, but his effort was deflected out for another Bees corner.


Not long after, there was a chance up the other end, with Jacob Butterfield driving goalward for Scunthorpe, but his long-range attempt sailed wide of the post.


Rob Hall came off for Kian Flanagan in the 75th minute, after working tirelessly all game.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 80th minute, with Scunthorpe attacker Rob Apter finding himself through on goal, and slotting it past Walker to make it 1-0 to the Iron.


The Bees responded just 4 minutes later, when Tuesdays game-winner against Bromley, Harry Pritchard got the equaliser for Barnet to continue his fine goal-scoring form. His low effort from long-range had far too much power on it for keeper Dewhurst.


In the 86th minute, we almost witnessed the goal of the season from Harry Pritchard, who noticed the keeper off his line from 45 yards out, chesting the ball down and lashing a volley goalward. With the ball dipping, Scunthorpe keeper Dewhurst managed to get back and tip it on to the bar and out for a corner.


With mere minutes to go, Barnet were awarded a corner. Gorman’s delivery met the head of Collinge, but he couldn’t direct his header goalward.


With the two teams level, 4 minutes of added time were awarded.

The 4 minutes went by, and the referee blew his whistle, seeing both sides leave with 1 point apiece.



Barnet Line-Up:

Laurie Walker, Daniele Collinge, Jerome Okimo, Rob Hall (Flanagan, 75’), Dale Gorman ©, Nicke Kabamba, Harry Pritchard, Ben Wynter, Ryan De Havilland, Dom Revan, Marvin Amstrong (Shields, 51’)


Goalscorer: Pritchard


Azaze, Flanagan, Beard, Woods, Shields


Scunthorpe Line-Up:

Marcus Dewhurst, Reagan Ogle, Mason O’Malley, Andrew Boyce ©, Alfie Beestin, Joe Nuttall, Jai Rowe, Caolan Lavery (Poulter, 90+2’), Jacob Butterfield, Kgosi Ntlhe (Pugh, 45’), Rob Apter (Wilson, 89’)


Goalscorer: Apter


Foster, Taft, Wilson, Pugh, Poulter



Attendance: 1628 (away 210)