Barnet Football Club


Match Report | Barnet 1-3 Oldham Athletic

Barnet 1-3 Oldham Athletic
Vanarama National League
28th February 2023
Attendance: 1299 (267 away)


Barnet failed to pick up the points at home against Oldham Athletic, with a goal from Idris Kanu not enough to see off the Latics. This result keeps the Bees in 4th place, with Friday’s opponents Southend just three points behind.


The Bees started strongly, with the first chance of the game coming less than a minute in. An Idris Kanu shot on the right-hand side was blocked well by a Latics defender. The subsequent corner unfortunately led to nothing for the home side.


The away side responded in the 4th minute with a dangerous chance of their own. Aymen Azaze saved well, before the rebound was blocked and out for a corner. This time, the delivery from the corner spot was flicked in by Kitching. 1-0.


Brennan’s side were awarded a free kick from a fairly dangerous position in the 10th minute, with Kanu being brought down after skipping past his man. However, the free kick by captain Gorman failed to meet the head of one of the Barnet men in the box, and out it went for an Oldham goal kick.


Barnet were trying their best to muster something up and get an equaliser, with one half-chance coming in the 16th minute. A cross fell to Kanu, but his left-footed volley sailed over the bar.


26 minutes in, Kanu was awarded another free kick in a dangerous position. It seemed as if the away side were bringing our number 11 down every chance they could at this point. The resulting free kick saw a corner ensue for the Bees. Before the corner could be taken, Oldham captain Liam Hogan was seen to by the Latics medical staff after a nasty bump. Luckily the player was able to play on after some assistance.


With 15 minutes to go in the first half, Barnet were pushing hard for an equaliser, but the Latics defence seemed to be equal to everything.


Ellis Chapman was booked in the 36th minute after another foul on Idris Kanu.


Oldham should’ve had their second in the 38th minute, after Azaze came out to claim the ball, but Devarn Green was first to it. The Latics number 15 attempted to lob the keeper, but failed to get enough loft on it to trouble him.


The Bees finally got their equaliser with 6 minutes to go in the 39th minute. Idris Kanu, who had been causing trouble for the away defence all game, found himself with all the time in the world from close range, and our number 11 lashed it across goal and into the bottom left corner with aplomb.


With the last kick of the half, Barnet were awarded a corner on the left-hand side. Dale Gorman sent it in, but it was cleared away by an Oldham player.


HALF TIME – Barnet 1-1 Oldham


The first chance of the second half came for the away side, with a Hogan header from a free kick going just over the bar.


In the 50th minute, our top scorer Nicke Kabamba received treatment from the physios after he went down holding his head. Fortunately, he was able to play on.


Courtney Senior received a yellow card in the 56th minute, after bringing down an Oldham player. The free kick that followed saw John Rooney whip in a superb ball. It met the head of Fondop, who just couldn’t get enough power or direction on it. A comfortable save for Azaze.


58 minutes in, Dale Gorman played a one two with De Havilland from a set piece, before sending in a dangerous cross to the back post. Pritchard tried to make contact with the ball, sliding in, before his effort hit the side netting, and out it went for an Oldham goal kick.


The Latics went back in the lead in the 62nd minute through substitute Fondop.


Dean Brennan’s first substitution came in the 68th minute, with Courtney Senior making way for Rob Hall.


Barnet came close to an equaliser in the 71st minute, after Finley Potter’s header was cleared off the line by a defender in blue.


The Bees were looking more and more dangerous, with Harry Pritchard also coming extremely close in the 72nd minute. Our number 14 sent his half-volley over the bar from close range.


The Latics thought they had extended their lead in the 75th minute, but goal-scorer Fondop’s header was ruled offside by the linesman. A lifeline for Barnet.


Just a minute later, it was all looking up for Brennan’s side, when Sam Beard’s long-range effort struck the hand of an Oldham defender inside the box. Captain Dale Gorman stepped up to take the penalty. Unfortunately, Dale’s penalty was saved by keeper Magnus Norman.


In the 80th minute, the away side were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. Rooney lashed it goalward, but Azaze caught it comfortably.


Brennan’s second substitution saw Marvin Armstrong come on in place of Potter. The third and final substitution came not long after, with Gorman making way for Sam Woods.


After the initial 90, an additional 6 minutes were added.


Oldham added their third in the 91st minute.


FULL TIME – Barnet 1-3 Oldham


Barnet Lineup: Azaze, Potter (Armstrong, 81’), Collinge, Okimo, Gorman © (Woods, 83’), Kabamba, Kanu, Pritchard, Beard, Senior (Hall, 68’), De Havilland

Substitutes: Callan, Armstrong, Hall, Woods, Smith

Goalscorer: Kanu


Oldham Lineup: Norman, Hogan ©, Sheron, Green (Clarke, 73’), Shelton, Rooney, Kitching, Sutton, Chapman (Reid, 45’), Yarney, Nuttall (Fondop, 45’)

Substitutes: Hudson, Tollitt, Fondop, Reid, Clarke

Goalscorers: Kitching, Fondop, Clarke