Barnet Football Club


Match Report: Barnet 2-3 Arsenal

The Bees last home pre-season friendly ended in defeat, despite a spirited second half fightback.

Darren Currie’s side found themselves three goals behind at the break as the visitors showed their class in the opening 45 minutes, with Folarin Balogun netting a hat-trick.

The second 45 minutes was much improved as goals from Jack Barham and Charlie Adam’s brought the Bees right back into the game, however they couldn’t find that all important leveller.

After an even start, it was the visitors who took the lead after 12 minutes, as Balogun scored from the penalty spot. He sent Loach the wrong way as he fired into the bottom left corner.

Just one minute later the Gunners doubled their lead as Balogun broke through again, he ran into the box and coolly slotted into the corner.

On 17 minutes Balogun completed his hat-trick with a superb strike from 20 yards, he turned away from the Bees defenders around him and sent a powerful shot past a hapless Loach.

Andre Boucard almost pulled one back for the Bees before the break but his deflected strike hit the wrong side of the net.

Three minutes into the second half and Antonis Vasiliou was next to try his luck, he did well to make the space but his shot went comfortably over the bar. The Bees number 33 was a positive point, he was tenacious and caused problems all evening.

Vasiliou was involved again soon after as he slipped in Jack Bahram who was brought down. The man who won it, stepped up and fired his penalty into the back of the net.

On 55 minutes the deficit should have been reduced to one goal, a stunning team move finished with Bahram who struck the bar from close range. However, the ball fell to Simeon Akinola but he couldn’t apply the finish with the goal at his mercy.

With half an hour to go the Bees had the ball in the net again but Barham’s header was ruled out for offside.

It really was game on with 20 minutes to go as Adams smashed a fizzing effort past Tom Smith, it was the least the Bees deserved following an impressive second half showing.

Balogun looked to wrap the game up for Arsenal but his close range effort was excellently blocked by Harry Taylor to send the ball over the top.

The Bees tried everything they could to end the match on level terms but couldn’t find a clear cut opening in the late stages of an entertaining contest at The Hive. 

Currie’s side make the short trip to St Albans for their final pre-season match this Saturday (27th July, 3pm), before they begin their National League campaign as Yeovil visit The Hive. 

Attendance: 2300