Barnet Football Club


Match Report: Barnet 6-2 Crystal Palace

Darren Currie’s side found themselves two goals behind after just nine minutes but a spirited comeback saw the Bees remain unbeaten in pre-season.

Two goals from David Tutonda and one each for Jack Barham, Mo Bettamer and Simeon Akinola gave the crowd at The Hive an entertaining evening.

The Bees fell behind after just three minutes, as David Boateng broke into the area and fired a powerful strike past Scott Loach.

Just six minutes later the visitors doubled their lead, as Connor Wickham volleyed home from point-blank range following a clever Palace corner.  

Barham nearly pulled one back five minutes later but his stooping header went narrowly wide of the near post after good work from Elliot Johnson.

It was the same combination that created the next Bees chance, but Barham could only divert his header straight at Stephen Henderson in the Eagles goal.

After 40 minutes Darren Currie’s side were given a golden chance to get back into the game, as Ephron Mason Clark was brought down in the box and the referee didn’t hesitate to point for a penalty. Bettamer made no mistake from the spot to bring the Bees back into the game.

Just one minute later, the Bees had the equaliser as Bahram converted from Bettamer’s low driven cross. Currie’s men found themselves level at the break after a spirited first-half fight back. The crowd couldn’t have predicted the onslaught that was to follow after the break. 

Just two minutes after the break the game had been completely turned on its head as Tutonda did brilliantly to slot home from a difficult angle, after a quick Barnet attack.

With 60 minutes on the clock, Tutonda netted his second of the game after superb work from Antonis Vasiliou. The young midfielder got in behind the Palace defence, before squaring the ball to Tutonda who couldn’t miss.

It was high fives all around for Currie’s Bees after 69 minutes as Akinola added a deserved fifth goal. Substitute Loic Hernandez put the ball across the box and Akinola did superbly to adjust his footing and fire home.

Loach kept the three-goal lead intact as he brilliantly denied a Palace forward after the Eagles quickly countered with six minutes to go.

With a minute left on the clock, the Bees made it six, as a trialist calmly slotted home, moments before the final whistle.

The style of football in the second half was superb throughout and the Bees regularly passed their way through the Eagles backline, the score certainly didn’t flatter Currie’s spirited side.

Barnet: Loach, Alexander (Tutonda 45), Sweeney (Boucaud 51), Santos (Syla 76), Johnson (Reynolds 45), Adams (Box 45), H.Taylor (Hernandez), Bettamer (J.Taylor 45), Mason-Clark (Akinola 45), Sparkes (Vasiliou 45), Barham (Trailist 65).

Subs not used: Azaze


Palace: Henderson, D.Boateng, Inniss, Woods, Riedewald, Dreher (M.Boateng 84), McGregor, Flanagan (Hobbs 79), Daly, Wickham (Lokilo 79), Sorloth.

Subs not used: Tupper, Pierrick, Aveiro.

Attendance- 1100