Barnet Football Club


Match Report | Chelmsford City | FA Cup First Round Replay

The Bees are through to the second round of the FA Cup after the ten-men of Barnet beat Chelmsford City 1-0 at the Melbourne Stadium.


There was just one change from the team that beat Oldham Athletic on Saturday. Marvin Armstrong was replaced by Kian Flanagan.


The hosts started the brightest and had the first chance of the game after just three minutes. A cross comes into the box and the Chelmsford forward heads narrowly wide of goal.


The Bees struck next after some excellent footwork from Kanu saw him weave through the Chelmsford box. He played the ball across the box which finds Flanagan. His effort is blocked on the line by a Chelmsford defender.


Barnet came close again. Gorman tried his luck from distance which left the keeper rooted to the spot as the ball went just wide of goal.


Chelmsford then tried their luck from distance which was on target. Walker managed to dive down and make the save to keep the score level.


Kabamba went through on goal after robbing the Chelmsford defender on the half-way line. The striker ran into the six-yard box and was denied a goal by the keeper who brilliantly saved his effort from close range.


The hosts had the last chance of the half as Jackson’s looping header almost found the top corner but just went wide.


HT: Chelmsford City 0-0 Barnet


The Bees started the second half strong. Wynter’s cross found Kabamba in the Chelmsford box, only the forward couldn’t get enough on it to steer it goalward.


Substitute, Sam Woods was shown a red card after a challenge on one of the Chelmsford players.


Minutes later, The Bees took the lead. Ryan De Havilland with a clever turn and which left the defender marking him on the floor. That gave him all the space he needed to pick out Kanu who headed the ball into the back of the net from close range.


Chelmsford had two great chances at the death to take the game to extra time. The first came when a cross found a man in claret at the back post who couldn’t find his footing and missed the open goal. The second chance came in the dying seconds from a corner which was headed narrowly wide.   


The ten men secured the win and will now travel to Accrington Stanley in the second round of the FA Cup.


Barnet XI: Walker, Collinge, Okimo, Gorman (Armstrong 86’), Kabamba (Diarra 90+4’), Kanu, Pritchard, Flanagan (Woods 45’, S/O 64’), Wynter, Beard, De Havilland

Unused subs: Azaze, Hall, Smith, Shields

Attendance: 3015