Barnet Football Club



Match Report: Crewe 4-1 Barnet

Rossi Eames named an unchanged side from the one that had battered Grimsby a week prior, with Eames hoping for more of the same from his team.
Crewe however had other ideas and started the game the brightest, attacking from the off. 
Within the first 5 minutes, The Bees found themselves on the back foot as Crewe pressed forward. 
It only took 8 minutes for Crewe to break the deadlock, when leading scorer Chris Dagnall’s close range shot bobbled under Vickers to find it’s way in.
Barnet did what they could to respond, with Akinola driving forward to force a corner, from which Nelson had an effort cleared off the line. 
The Bees midfield of Tutonda, Campbell-Ryce and Taylor all linked well going forward as they tried to get their side going.
Crewe continued to press, hitting The Bees on the break two-on-one, with Clough forced into some fine defending to keep the score line down. 
On 18 minutes, Jack Taylor fired a warning shot, with his effort narrowly going over the Crewe crossbar.
A Bees corner a few minutes later forced Garratt into a close range save, denying Nelson’s snap shot.
On 24 minutes, a pull back from Akinde set Akinola who could only fire over from inside the box.
But the Bees’ efforts were in vain as Crewe then went down the other end to score their second of the afternoon, when Dagnall powered into box and pulled his shot across Vickers to find the back of the net.
Barnet continued to respond, with newly added Elliott Johnson firing an effort wide before Campbell-Ryce had a fine free kick saved by Garratt’s left hand. 
Akinde found himself in on goal on 42 minutes following a Campbell-Ryce through ball, only for Garratt to come out and claim the ball ahead of him.
On 44 minutes, Akinde had another chance, his close range effort saved again by the equally matched Garratt. 
The half time report read: struggled to take control of game and under lots of Crewe pressure.
Despite this, there had been Bees chances, but they needed to be more ruthless in front of goal.
Unfortunately for Barnet, Crewe turned their pressure up a notch in the second period and it wasn’t until 50 minutes when a confused Crewe defence headed against their own crossbar following a Campbell-Ryce cross aiming for Akinde, that the visitors had their first real chance.
The Bees did get some consolation on 63 minutes when Weston let fly from 25 yards to superbly find the top left corner for his 7th goal of the season.
But any hopes of a Bees comeback were short lived when Dagnall completed his hat-trick following a defensive error to make it 3-1.
On 76 minutes, the Crewe goals were complete when Cooper latched on to a knock down to slide the ball past Vickers in the Barnet goal.
That completed a frustrating afternoon for the Bees, with Weston’s wonder strike the best moment of the game.
Following a turbulent season, it was a shame not to end the campaign on a victory, but the Bees now look forward to an exciting summer of preparation for the 2017/2018 season. 
Final Score: Crewe Alexandra 4-1 Barnet
Attendance: 4587