Barnet Football Club


Match Report | Oldham Athletic

The Bees secured back-to-back wins at Boundary Park, as goals from Kanu and Pritchard secured a 2-0 victory for Barnet which moved us into the play-off places. 


Manager, Dean Brennan named an unchanged team from the side that beat Altrincham on Tuesday. 


Oldham had the opening chance of the game. Timmy Abraham found himself in the box with just the keeper to beat. His effort had no power and Bees keeper, Laurie Walker calmly collected the ball without trouble. 


Oldham went close again minutes later. A Barnet corner was intercepted which lead to a counter attack. The ball was played across the face of the Barnet goal and somehow the oncoming attacker hit the shot over the bar. 


Sam Beard denied Oldham the opener again after a drilled shot from the edge of the box was excellently blocked by the defender.  


The first big chance for Barnet came from a cross into the box which found Kabamba. His shot was deflected from close range.  


Dale Gorman thought he caught the keeper out when he decided to shoot from a free-kick by the corner flag rather than crossing the ball. His shot just went over the bar. 


Sam Beard also had a golden chance to open the scoring. A Gorman free-kick was whipped into the box and found the diving head of Beard who just put his attempt wide of goal. 


Despite chances from both teams the score was level heading into the break. 


HT: Oldham Athletic 0-0 Barnet 


The second half was completely dominated by The Bees.


The first chance came just three minutes into the half when Nicke Kabamba hit a strike from outside the box which curled towards the top corner but ultimately went over into the stand. 


The breakthrough came just before the hour mark, Idris Kanu with a magnificent solo run down the right before cutting into the box and slotting the ball under the keeper into the far bottom corner.  


Walker was called into action after a strike from distance from Oldham. The shot looked destined for the bottom corner, only for the Barnet keeper to get down quickly and get a hand to the ball to keep The Bees lead.  


Kabamba then went on an amazing solo run from his own half with the ball. The striker weaved between the Oldham defence before an Oldham player took Kabamba out on the edge of the box. 


The Bees put the game to bed in the 88th minute. Ball was played across the face of goal and Harry Pritchard smashed the ball into the net from close range.  


That secured back-to-back wins for The Bees as we move up to 7th and into the play-off places.  


Barnet XI: Walker, Collinge, Armstrong (Flanagan 60’), Okimo, Gorman, Kabamba (Hall 90’), Kanu, Pritchard, Wynter, Beard, De Havilland (Woods 76’) 

Unused subs: Azaze, Shields 

Attendance: 6014 (182 away)