Barnet Football Club



The Bees came from behind to defeat York City 4-2 at the LNER Community Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Dean Brennan made two changes from the starting XI that played FC Halifax Town on Saturday. Reece Hall-Johnson and Callum Stead came in for Dale Gorman and Ben Coker.

Idris Kanu and Anthony Hartigan both had efforts in the opening moments of the game, which were both well blocked by the York defence before the hosts opened the scoring a minute later.

Five minutes later, Nicke Kabamba thought he levelled the score before the linesman controversially raised his flag for offside. The Bees didn’t let that affect their performance, as Harry Pritchard did level the score moments later when his half-volley found the top corner of the net.

Callum Stead made his first start of the season and was close to scoring his first goal of the season after just 27 minutes. The forward made an excellent solo run into the York box before the keeper collected the ball from Stead’s feet.

Laurie Walker was called into action at the half-hour mark. An excellent diving save denied York retaking the lead. York came close again moments later when the ball was played across the face of goal, but nobody in red was there to tap the ball into the net.

HT: York City 1-1 Barnet FC

The Bees came out strong in the second half and pressed the York defence. Kanu had the first chance of the second half. The winger sent a stinging strike towards goal but was dealt with by the York keeper.

The Bees pressure finally broke the York defence as Kanu gave Brennan’s side the lead. A stunning run from the winger around the York defenders eventually led to a low, well-placed finish into the bottom corner of the York net, completing the turnaround.

Just moments later, Barnet got a third. A deep cross was sent into the York box by Jerome Okimo, where Reece Hall-Johnson headed the ball over the keeper and into the back of the net to get his first goal in amber and black.

Hall-Johnson could have had a five-minute hat-trick. Three minutes after his first goal, the right back went rushing through on goal before placing a firm strike beyond the York keeper but was denied by the post. Hall-Johnson then had another strike at goal from the edge of the box, which was dealt with much better by the keeper.

The Bees then made it four through Zak Brunt. Another delightful cross, this time by Harry Pritchard, was delivered short into the York box and met by the head of Brunt, who put the ball beyond the reach of the keeper and gave Barnet a three-goal cushion with less than ten minutes left on the clock.

The hosts did get one goal back through Akinyemi, but it was The Bees that left the LNER Community Stadium with all three points.

FT: York City 2-4 Barnet FC

Barnet Starting XI: Walker, Hall-Johnson, Collinge, Okimo, Kabamba (86’ Barratt), Stead (80’ Armstrong), Kanu, Pritchard (84’ Gorman), Hartigan, Oluwo, Brunt.

Unused Substitute: Gillmore, Potter

Yellow: Hall-Johnson, Collinge,

Attendance: 4,065 (Away 163)